Now that you have the background and the gear, try this basic cheese fondue recipe
What You’ll Need:
1 pound Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
8 ounces Emmentaler cheese,
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 garlic clove, halved
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons kirsch, if desired
Freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg, pinch
Yield: serves 4-6
- In a large bowl, combine the cheeses and cornstarch and toss to
- Rub the inside of a heavy saucepan with the garlic, and then discard
- Add the wine and lemon juice and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the cheese mixture gradually over moderate heat, stirring
- Stir in the kirsch, if desired. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Simmer mixture for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a fondue stand set
over a low flame.
- Serve immediately, taking care to remember to continually
stir the fondue to prevent it from separating.
||Bright ideas: Make sure you have lots of fresh
bread slices on hand! Now you have a good use for those extra rolls
that have been sitting around the house. If they seem stale-ish,
pop them in the toaster oven for a minute or two.